Power Ranking System
District One Volleyball Power Ranking Process
Step by step description of the ranking process:
1. Only "best of 5 matches" are to be included; abbreviated matches, such as those played in tournaments, are to be excluded.
2. Only "best of 5 matches" with PIAA schools are to be included; matches with non-PIAA schools are to be excluded.
3. District One teams that play matches with PIAA teams that are outside of District One, are responsible for obtaining end of season win/loss records of those opponents to have them included in the ranking calculation.
4. The ranking calculation weighs two factors; a team’s season win/loss record, and the pre-district playoff win/loss records of that team’s PIAA opponents (as defined in steps 1-3).
5. An index will be calculated using 55% of a team’s own win/loss record (% matches won/total matches played), added to 45% of the combined win/loss records of its opponents. This formula is designed to reward teams that play competitive schedules.
6. Each District One team will be ranked for district playoffs using the 55/45 index, with the team with the highest total index ranked first, the team with the second highest index ranked second, and so on until all available seeds are determined.
Tournament winners follow the bracket. Teams are not re-seeded as the tournament advances.
Note: All regular season contests must be completed before the start of the Seed meeting.
Post-season games for non-District One opponents can count towards the team's overall records. However, District One school's Post-Season League Playoff and Championship games do not count towards the power ranking system.
Final Rankings are Unofficial until 12:00 the day after the Seed Meeting
Tie breaking Procedures for Final Season Standings (the process stops when the one criteria breaks the tie).
- Head to Head Competition.
- Compare the win-loss-tie record of common opponents of the tied schools using 5 points for a win, 2.5 points for a tie, 0 points for a loss.
- Compare the win-loss-tie records of the regular season contest for each tied school that were used to determine the rankings (using the point system described above).
- Determine the winning percentage of the common opponents that the tied schools played.
- Determine the winning percentage of the regular season opponents that the tied schools played.
- Determine which team yielded the fewest points, goals (or games for GVB) when they played each other during the regular season.
- Determine which of the tied teams yielded the fewest points, goals (or games for GVB) when they played against common opponents.
- Determine which of the teams yielded the fewest points, goals (or games for GVB) when they played against their regular season opponents.
- Coin Flip - Conducted by the D1 Chairman