Power Ranking System
3A Boys Volleyball Rankings
District One Volleyball Power Ranking Process
Here is a step by step description of the ranking process:
1. Only best of 5 matches are to be included; abbreviated matches, such as those played in tournaments, are to be excluded.
2. Only best of 5 matches with PIAA schools are to be included ; matches with non-PIAA schools are to be excluded.
3. District One teams that play matches with PIAA teams that are outside of District One, are responsible for obtaining end of season win/loss records of those opponents to have them included in the ranking calculation.
4. The ranking calculation weighs two factors; a team’s season win/loss record, and the pre-district playoff win/loss records of that team’s PIAA opponents (as defined in steps 1-3).
5. An index will be calculated using 55% of a team’s own win/loss record (% matches won/total matches played), added to 45% of the combined win/loss records of its opponents. This formula is designed to reward teams that play competitive schedules.
6. Each District One team will be ranked for district playoffs using the 55/45 index, with the team with the highest total index ranked first, the team with the second highest index ranked second, and so on until all available seeds are determined.